2013/05/07

Saucy Salads


Hi Smoothies,
What a wonderful day it was, don’t you think? Finally I could get those shorts out of my closet I bought a few months ago with the release of the new SS collection. The shorts are from pull&bear.

shorts pull&bear
Pull&Bear shorts

In this weather I prefer to eat a light fresh lunch like a salad. When it comes to salads, I never eat the same one I guess. Mostly I put them together with leftovers from last night’s dinner or at the beginning of the week I make some preparations in advance so I can just take a bit out of the plastic fridge storage box.
There are a few ingredients I have always in my pantry to throw in my salad.
  • canned chickpeas
  • canned black lentils
  • canned tuna
  • quinoa
  • canned corn
i have the not canned versions also in my pantry, however as I’m most of the times in a hurry I usually use the canned versions. Some veggies I chop in advance and store them in the fridge for the rest of the week so I can add them to my salad whenever I want
Veggies to store:

  • leafs (not chopping of course but just clean it already)
  • cucumber
  • red beet
  • carrots (grate them yourself! much better!)
  • tomatoes
  • apple (sprinkle them with lemon juice to prevent them from turning brown)



Sometimes I also boil a couple of eggs, cook some pasta or quinoa in advance.
To make a salad I always start with some leafs. I prefer plain lettuce but it’s a bit of work to clean it but it’s definitely my favorite. And I don’t like the prepackaged ones because I find that you always get the harder white chunks of the lettuce which I don’t like. If I don’t feel like cleaning a lettuce I buy a prepackaged mix of leafs. Mostly I choose a mix of young lettuce and rocket or young lettuce and red beet. Sometimes I add some leafs of fresh spinach or watercress too.
Secondly I always fill it up with some cucumber and tomato chunks
Then I add the remaining ingredients I feel like eating that day. That can be strawberries, goat cheese and some chickpeas. Or another combo!
The last step is to add some pepper and salt to taste and a bit of olive oil. I’m not the kind of person that likes a fancy vinaigrette. Just a simple good olive oil I like way much more! When I make a salad that includes Mozzarella cheese I also add some Italian herb mix.

There are some combo’s I ended up with so far and turned out delicious!


Salad combo's




Which salad combo do you prefer? What’s your favorite salad recipe?
Celine .X

No comments:

Post a Comment